Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Reacher or the Settler?

They say...oh well, in a particular american sitcom that every relationship has a reacher and a settler. One person is the reacher who reaches out to someone better than himself in the relationship while the other one is the settler who settles for someone lesser (?) than him. I've heard couples around me argue about this, both calling themselves settlers, obviously.

Do you think there is any such thing that exists. Aren't relationships supposed to be complimentary and are we all not supposed to have our bag full of faults and drawbacks and if yes, then it makes all of us a reacher as we all reach out to people who can compliment our drawbacks with their awesomeness.That's what brings awesome to the entire relationship, isn't it? Then why is it that I hear people say way too many times "Oh, I could have done better."? Is it just them and their sick need to not appreciate anything that they have? OR is there actually a reacher-settler balance that exists for real.

Just wondering. This post was inspired by the coffee that spilt on my dress today, well, because it was directed by this girlfriend yelling at her boyfriend and I seemed to have just come in the way at the right time to have it spilled on me. Drama I tell you ! And this is what she was saying. She was the settler, she said.

2 comments:

Sophia said...

I guess this could be applied to some people, but I really don't think that this is the case for most. I'd like to believe that people come together for entirely different reasons.
Vi

WomanInLove said...

I believe it is true at times. But then the settles has all the opportunity to not settle. The fact that they do, make them a reacher at some point